Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Emerils.com, great for Passover and any other time of the year.
BERRIES AND MERINGUE SHELLS
- 3 cups mixed berries, hulled (if neccessary)
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
HAZLENUT CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- In a bowl combine the berries, 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier, 1/4 cup sugar and orange zest.
- Allow to macerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours, tightly covered, and refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Have a large baking sheet lined with foil and greased lightly with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup of sugar and beat until the meringue forms stiff, shiny peaks.
- Spoon the meringue into 6 equal mounds on the greased sheet, and using the back of a spoon, spread slightly out and make an indentation in the center.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack for 1 hour.
- Turn off the oven and leave in oven until dry, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl beat the heavy cream to soft peaks.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and the remaining Grand Marnier, and beat just until stiff peaks begin to form.
- Place 1 meringue on each of 6 plates, and fill with 1/2 cup macerated berries.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and drizzle warm chocolate sauce over the top.
- HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE SAUCE:.
- Ina medium saucepan, bring the cream and Grand Marnier to a gently boil.
- Remove from heat, add the chocolate and whisk until melted and well blended.
- Whisk in the hazelnuts and cover to keep warm until needed.