Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy (i call them air cookies) meringue, with different flavors Kids love them. Points 1.
- In large mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until.
- foamy. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks.
- Rub just a bit of meringue between thumb and.
- forefinger to feel if sugar has dissolved.
- Gently fold in almonds.
- Drop by tablespoonsful or pipe through pastry tube or food-storage bag onto lightly greased or lined (foil or waxed, brown, or parchment paper) baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated 225 degree oven until firm, about 1 hour.
- Turn off oven.
- Let stand in oven with door closed until cool, dry, and crisp, at least 1 additional hour.
- Store in tightly sealed container with waxed paper between layers.
- (If stored cookies lose crispness, bake in preheated 200ºF oven about 15 to 20 minutes.).
- Use amounts listed for 1 batch of cookies.
- To make 2 variations at a time, divide meringue mixture equally between 2 bowls.
- Beat or fold 1/2 the ingredient amounts listed for 1 variation into 1 of the bowls.
- For all variations, omit ground almonds.
- Brandy Alexander; Beat in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon brandy extract.
- Chocolate; Beat in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Citrus; Beat in 2 tablespoons grated orange peel, 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, and a few drops yellow food coloring.