Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you can't find superfine sugar you can make your own by running granulated sugar in a food processor or blender until powdery. After you turn it off, let the powder settle for a minute before you open the food processor. See flavor variations below.
- 3⁄4 cup caster (not confectioner's sugar) or 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar, separated (not confectioner's sugar)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat over to 225 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup sugar with cornstarch and reserve. In a medium bowl, with electric mixer on high speed beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Reduce mixer speed to medium and gradually beat in reserved sugar-cornstarch mixture until incorporated. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for five minutes, scraping down sides of bowl several times, until stiff and glossy peaks form. If using a pastry bag, fill with mixutre otherwise drop little rounded mounds of meringue with a tablespoon spacing 1/2 inch apart.
- For crisp meringues, bake in preheated oven until firm to the touch and crisp throughout, about 1 1/2 hours, turning baking sheet once from front to back halfway through baking. For chewier meringues, bake about 1 1/4 hours, rotating sheet once halfway through baking.
- Cool meringues slightly on baking sheet on wire rack. Transfer meringues to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
- ORANGE KISSES:.
- Follow directions, substituting one teaspoon orange extract for vanilla and almond extracts and adding 12 drops orange food coloring.
- STRAWBERRY KISSES:.
- Follow directions, substituting 1 1/2 teaspoons strawberry extract for vanilla and almond extracts and adding 12 drops red food coloring.
- MINT KISSES:.
- Follow directions, substituting 1/4 teaspoon mint extract for vanilla and almond extract and adding 12 drops green food coloring.
- COCOA KISSES:.
- Follow directions, substituting 1 1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract for vanilla and almond extracts. After beating egg white mixture, sift 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder over mixture and fold it gently in until thoroughly blended.
Wonderful meringues! Was looking forward to the vanilla/almond extract combination, then saw the other review and remembered the raspberry extract I'd never used so gave it a try. Any flavor would delicious. Cornstarch and long baking time make a real difference in this recipe. I used regular granulated sugar with good results. My new go to recipe. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
These were delicious. They had the perfect texture! I doubled the recipe because I had a bunch of egg whites leftover from making a banana cream pie. I followed the directions exactly and they came out better than any others I have made in the past. I used raspberry flavoring in mine so they came out tasting kind of like cotton candy. My family ate them one right after another. They ate about half of them the first day! Thanks, GailAnn!