Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mrs. Murray's Foods Class 2004.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mint extract or 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- grated unsweetened chocolate (optional) or food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate two eggs. Make sureyou do not get any yolk in the whites.
- Beat the egg white in a large bowl with an electric beater on medium speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla (or mint) and beat until soft peaks form.
- Beat on high speed adding sugar 1 teaspoon at a time until stiff peaks form. (Add chocolate or coloring at this point).
- Drop by teaspoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool two minutes. Move cookies to a wire rack.
I used to make these all the time when I was a teenager. This is the recipe I used, but I got it from a recipe club. I liked to add cinnamon to my vanilla ones.