Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
For piping. Dries hard on outside, tender on inside.
- 2 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extract (clear is better for white color)
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven to warm while you are making the meringue.
- Make a hot water bath by placing a medium sized, grease-free metal or glass bowl snuggly over a pan of hot water.
- Beat the egg whites in the bowl at a slow steady speed. When they are foamy add the cream of tartar. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and when the meringue will form soft peaks, add the extract and increase to a medium beating speed. Beat for another 4-6 minutes, until the meringue forms firm peaks when the beaters are lifted.
- Fill the pastry bag while the meringue is still warm.
- Remove the warm baking sheet from the oven and adhear the parchment down with dots of meringue.
- Pipe out desired decoration. Bake at 200 degrees for about 45 minutes until the pieces feel firm and dry when gently squeezed.