Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tasty, light cookies that you can whip up for a baby shower (add a drop of red or a drop of blue) or just for fun! If you don't like almonds, let out the almonds and use the vanilla extract. This recipe is from the Best of Bridge ladies, straight from Alberta. Enjoy!
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup berry sugar (caster sugar)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring (look at the green in gailanng's photo!) (optional)
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted, cooled
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until light and fluffy. Make sure you don't get ANY yolk in it. If you do, start over! Using a metal bowl is best.
- Gradually add sugar to egg white mixture and continue beating until mixture stands in stiff peaks. Gently fold almonds into meringue with extract and food colouring (optional).
- Drop meringue by teaspoonful onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 300F for 30 minutes. Let cool.
Piped into a clover and hard to see in my picture, but I tinted them green. I had my almonds all toasted up then had the notion that they would be harder to shape, so I omitted them, but still tasted almondy good from the extract. Easy to make and oh so magically delicious. Made with elfin grandbabe.