Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees, make sure your racks are in the middle of the oven.
- Fit large pastry bag with a 1/2 round tip and medium-bag with 1/4 round tip.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly trace 36, 2-2 1/2 inch long candy canes backward on parchment paper.
- Flip paper over.
- In medium sized bowl, beat whites, cream of tartar and salt until foamy.
- Adding 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time, beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Beat in extract.
- Remove 1/2 cup of meringue; tint pink with food coloring.
- Transfer white meringue into large pastry bag and pink to medium bag.
- Fill in tracing with white meringue and pipe in pink stripes across canes.
- Bake in oven for 1 1/4 hours.
- Turn oven off; let sit for 1 hour in oven.
- With a metal turner transfer canes to wire rack and let cool completely.
I made these for the Christmas holidays, and they were a big hit. Very simple to make, and as I don't own any pastry bags, I just used sealed ziplocs with the ends snipped off. These festive little cookies were the first pile to disappear from the tray this year!