Recipe by Kay D.
This recipe is from Colette Peters, in a wonderful book called Cakes To Dream On. This is one of the many recipes I tested when making my daughter's first birthday cake, and this is the best buttercream I've ever tasted. While still very buttery, it doesn't feel like you're simply eating a stick of butter. Awesome buttercream, you must try it!
Top Review by Liza at Food.com
This is the ONLY buttercream icing I will use. It is the smoothest, creamiest, melt in your mouth dreamiest. Just finished my cousin's wedding cake and the frosting was perfect! Thanks so much for posting Kay!
- 354.88 ml egg whites, at room temperature
- 709.77 ml sugar
- 1360.77 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract or 14.79 ml other flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites and the sugar and whisk until well blended; (yes, your arm will get tired).
- Set the bowl on top of a double boiler, or transfer mixture to the top pan of a double boiler and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot to the touch.
- Transfer to your mixer's bowl and beat on High with the whisk attachment until the bowl has cooled to the touch and the meringue forms stiff peaks.
- While beating on medium speed,slowly add the room temperature butter about 1/4 cup at a time.
- When all the butter has been added, it should be thick and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and blend until combined.
- This can be stored at room temperature for up to a day, refrigerated up to a week, and frozen up to a month.