Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My southwestern twist on enchilada casserole with pork sausage, chipotles, poblanos, avocados and cheese. If you prefer less spice reduce or cut the chipotles. Sometimes my grocery has chipotles fresh; if they don’t I buy them in a can with adobe sauce and rinse the sauce and seeds off.
- 2 lbs ground pork sausage
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced chipotle pepper
- 1 diced poblano pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- corn tortilla
- Brown the sausage, drain and set aside.
- Sauté the onions in the butter.
- Add the peppers, spinach, tomatoes, soups, sour cream and garlic salt.
- Briefly simmer until peppers and spinach are limp.
- Add sausage and turn off heat.
- Line two casserole dishes with dampened tortillas.
- Spoon in mixture.
- Cover with avocado and then cheese.
- Continue to layer until dishes are full.
- Cook at 350° for 45 minutes.
i loved the flavor of this one. The only thing I did differently was that I halved the recipe as I did not want two cassaroles. I did add 1 T chopped garlic, too, because we love it! Very easy to prepare and loaded with flavor. I like the addition of the spinach, too. Thanks for a keeper.