Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious nutritious breakfast even your kids will love! My daughter and I created this recipe for a kid's cooking contest.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas (ripe and mashed)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (bananas, milk, eggs and oil) and mix well.
- Use about 1/3 cup of batter per waffle on waffle machine. Bake until crispy on the outside.
- These also freeze well.
Did a half recipe using egg beaters and adding 2T wheat germ. Using cooking spray in the waffle iron makes them crisp right up. Very tastey.
This was a great healthy alternative for breakfast. After being cooked the cocoa flavor and banana flavor didn't come out for me, but the kids seemed to really enjoy it. I might try to lighten it up more with applesauce and egg sub. Also, mine never got crispy. They were kind of soggy. Is there another ingredient to add to make them crisp up? It's a great choice because I feel like I'm feeding my kids well and they feel like they're getting a treat. Thanks!
Yummilicious! The flavors are perfect! I used half Splenda for the sugar and you couldn't tell. Very simple to make. An excellent recipe on every level. Thank you. Why would anyone make waffles with all-purpose flour when there is a recipe like this one? :)