Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
These are the only cabbage rolls I've ever made. I like the taste of the filling with the Worcestershire sauce and the basil.Serve it over rice ( that's what we like) potatoes, or noodles.
- 1 large green cabbage, for 12 leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (I use whatever's in the house)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of minced garlic (optional)
- Core cabbage head: steam in a large pot with about 2-3 inches of water at the bottom.
- Remove outer leaves as they soften.
- Remove remaining cabbage and set aside.
- In a skillet, in hot butter, cook onion 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- Divide mixture into 12 portions.
- In the center of each cabbage leaf, place a portion of the meat mixture.
- Fold 2 sides of the leaf toward the center.
- From one narrow edge, roll up jelly-roll fashion.
- Secure them with toothpicks (but make SURE they're noticeable).
- Place the sauce with some chopped up cabbage that you reserved in an electric frying pan or roasting pan with a lid.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour in the fry pan- same for the oven at 350*.
Yummmm!!! This is the first cabbage roll recipe I've ever made, and I won't be looking for any others, MEP! Just delicious. I did use orzo pasta in place of the rice because I had some left over, and I used 2 tsp. minced fresh basil in place of the dry.
Absolutely worth the effort. I made extra sauce and served them over rice with the sliced cabbage and it was terrific. Thanks for posting what I now call "My secret recipe Cabbage Rolls" ! ;o)
This is awesome! I don't even like cooked cabbage, and these are great. Also they are really easy to make, just follow the recipe.