Recipe by spatchcock
This is my healthy recipe for marinara sauce. I use it is a dipping sauce and i also use it for pasta dishes. I LOVE IT! You could add fresh oregano, too, if you wanted, as well as some fresh black pepper. (WW: I think this is about 1 point/cup. The only thing that has points in this recipe is the stewed tomatoes, and those are 1 pt/ cup.)
Top Review by Pie Queen
Thanks for posting :) I have made this a lot in the past since it does not need oil. I prefer the taste of fresh mushrooms though and usually use 1-2 cloves of garlic depending on the size. Depending on my mood and contents of the fridge I also add other veggies like zucchini (sliced using cheese slicer), peas, carrots, sweetcorn...
- 1 (24 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (about)
- 1 (12 ounce) can mushrooms, in water (about)
- 3 cloves garlic (or as many as you want)
- 1⁄2 cup torn basil leaves (fresh!!! MUST use fresh!!)
- kosher salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute garlic in nonstick cooking spray over low to medium heat.
- Once garlic is tender, add mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Mash tomatoes as the mixture becomes more sauce-like, about 10 minutes.
- Add basil close to the end of cooking time.
- You'll know when it's done!
- This is fantastic with whole-wheat pita triangles toasted in the oven with nonstick cooking spray!