4 hrs 10 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
This soup is eaten at lunch, dinner or even breakfast. It is reputed to cure hangovers when served with plenty of extra hot peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs honeycomb tripe
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) veal knuckle
- 6 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy
- dried chile pequins or crushed red pepper flakes
- lime wedge
- 1Cut tripe into 1-inch pieces.
- 2Place in a dutch oven with veal knuckle, water, onions, garlic, salt, coriander, oregano, the 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and the pepper.
- 3Simmer, covered, 3 hours until tripe is clear and jellylike in appearance and veal is tender.
- 4Remove veal knuckle from pot.
- 5When cool enough to handle, discard bones, chop meat and return to pot.
- 6Add undrained hominy.
- 7Cover and simmer 20 minutes longer.
- 8Serve with pequin chilies or crushed red pepper to taste.
- 9Garnish with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Menudo (Tripe Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.4
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 137.8 mg
- Sodium 807.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: