1/1 Photo of Menudo Rojo (Red Menudo)
8 hrs 30 mins
Happy Hippie's Note:
This is the perfect red menudo. It takes a long time to cook so you may want to try this on a weekend if you work outside the home, but believe me, it so very good and actually quite simple to prepare. This is a meal in itself. This is fairly spicy, but you can adjust the heat level by reducing the amount of ground red pepper. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 gallons water, divided
- 2 1/2 lbs beef tripe, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 5 chili peppers, de arbol
- 6 chili peppers, japones (seeds removed)
- 6 cups hominy, canned drained (yellow or white)
- 1In a large pot, bring 1 gallon water to a boil.
- 2Place tripe in the pot, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
- 3Periodically skim off fat with a spoon. Drain water, reduce heat, and pour in a fresh gallon of water.
- 4Continue to simmer tripe for 2 hours; drain.
- 5Pour remaining 1 gallon water into the pot with tripe, and bring to a boil.
- 6Stir in garlic and 1 chopped white onion. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper.
- 7Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- 8Preheat the broiler.
- 9Arrange the de arbol chile peppers on a baking sheet, and broil about 2 minutes, just until they begin to scorch.
- 10Remove from heat, slit lengthwise, and remove seeds.
- 11In a blender or food processor, blend the de arbol chile peppers and japones chile peppers until very finely chopped. Mix into the pot, and continue cooking 2 hours over low heat.
- 12Mix the hominy into the pot and continue cooking 1 hour.
- 13Serve with condiments as listed under ingredients.
- 14Menudo is at it's best made a day ahead of time to allow the ingredients to "marry.".
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Menudo Rojo (Red Menudo)
Serving Size: 1 (1794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.5
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 172.3 mg
- Sodium 1755.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 20.7 g