Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A side dish that I adore. Replace fatty, starchy mashed potatoes. Be down with buttered down corn Load up on protein, essential fiber, and cut the fat!
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried lentils
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 2 white mushrooms, sliced thin and diced (I like to use 'stuffing' mushrooms because they are larger)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 tablespoons of minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- First off you need to boil the lentils, just follow the directions on the back of the bag.
- While they are boiling bring a saute pan to medium heat with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Throw all the ingredients (not the lentils though) into the sauce pan and let them saute a bit.
- After about 3 minutes add the water to the sauce pan and cover it.
- Let the veggies saute for another 5 minutes on LOW heat.
- Once the lentils are at your desired softness, strain them, and add the contents of the pan.
- Add Salt and Pepper to make it just right for you. Personally I prefer nothing but the ingredients I put in, but each person is different and I recommend letting guests season it to their individual liking.
So I am finally getting around to rating your recipes, and this one tops the charts. Amazing! I like to add a little cilantro to it (like 1/2 teaspoon) and a little less garlic (2 cloves) but basically this idea is genius!! Im just not huge on garlic.
I have never cooked with lentils before, but this recipe is still very bland. The red pepper mixture smelled heavenly while cooking though. I reccomend about half the amount of lentils. Also some herbs and spices might add some flavor.
I never know what to do with lentils. They are so good for you, but taste a little, um, plain. This is a good idea for any sauted veggies- I didn't have red bell pepper, but I used serrano peppers (very spicy, but so good!) Probably best to add scallions and parsley until the very end though.