5 hrs 10 mins
This broth recipe has been handed down for a few generations and it seems to change a little with each person. I found that I have been able to copy my mother's version pretty accurately. Warning: Don't make this soup if you don't like black licorice flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the chicken in a large pot and cover with water to the top.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3As it boils, skim off the fat.
- 4Lower heat to a simmer and add the onion and salt.
- 5Continue to simmer on the lowest heat.
- 6When it is approximately one hour to serving, add the rest of the seasonings.
- 7Take the meat out, reserving same for later in the meal.
- 8Transfer liquid through a sieve to skim out of the broth.
- 9Serve with homemade noodles and people will never want the store bought stuff again (hopefully!).
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mennonite Style Chicken Broth
Serving Size: 1 (910 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2100.9
- Calories from Fat 1457
- Total Fat 161.9 g
- Saturated Fat 45.4 g
- Cholesterol 565.1 mg
- Sodium 569.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 140.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: