Recipe by Bunsby
This broth recipe has been handed down for a few generations and it seems to change a little with each person. I found that I have been able to copy my mother's version pretty accurately. Warning: Don't make this soup if you don't like black licorice flavour.
Top Review by Mary A.
I'm rating this 4 stars only because I did not use the star anise and it seems to be an important part of this recipe. I didn't use it because I don't have any. I added celery and broccoli to this broth and it was delicious!! I think this was the best chicken soup I have ever made because this broth is so tasty!!
- 1 stewing chicken (or various pieces of fatty chicken)
- cold water
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 teaspoons parsley
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 5 -6 whole star anise (more if you want more flavour)
- 10 -15 peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in a large pot and cover with water to the top.
- Bring to a boil.
- As it boils, skim off the fat.
- Lower heat to a simmer and add the onion and salt.
- Continue to simmer on the lowest heat.
- When it is approximately one hour to serving, add the rest of the seasonings.
- Take the meat out, reserving same for later in the meal.
- Transfer liquid through a sieve to skim out of the broth.
- Serve with homemade noodles and people will never want the store bought stuff again (hopefully!).