5 hrs 10 mins
This broth recipe has been handed down for a few generations and it seems to change a little with each person. I found that I have been able to copy my mother's version pretty accurately. Warning: Don't make this soup if you don't like black licorice flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the chicken in a large pot and cover with water to the top.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3As it boils, skim off the fat.
- 4Lower heat to a simmer and add the onion and salt.
- 5Continue to simmer on the lowest heat.
- 6When it is approximately one hour to serving, add the rest of the seasonings.
- 7Take the meat out, reserving same for later in the meal.
- 8Transfer liquid through a sieve to skim out of the broth.
- 9Serve with homemade noodles and people will never want the store bought stuff again (hopefully!).
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mennonite Style Chicken Broth
Serving Size: 1 (910 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2100.9
- Calories from Fat 1457
- Total Fat 161.9 g
- Saturated Fat 45.4 g
- Cholesterol 565.1 mg
- Sodium 569.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 140.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: