1/1 Photo of Mennonite Soft White Cookies
1 hr 24 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A sugar cookie that is not too sweet, but deliciously soft! I was served cookies like these by a Mennonite couple, and searched desperately for the recipe until I found this one on a Mennonite cooking website! They've been a big hit wherever I've taken them, and they're a family favourite! I've modified the recipe to have coconut on top, like they were first served to me. If necessary, add an extra 1/4-1/2 cup of flour to keep the dough from being too sticky, and if you don't have buttermilk, use 1 cup milk + 1 tsp. vinegar and let stand for 5 minutes before use. The measurements for the icing are approximate, as I don't usually measure the amounts exactly and they aren't given on the recipe site; make more if you need/like more! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Cream shortening and sugar together.
- 2Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- 3Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- 4Stir flour mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, into the creamed mixture, until it forms a soft ball. Add extra flour if necessary.
- 5Cover and chill in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- 6Roll out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness, cut into circles or desired shapes and place on cookie sheets.
- 7Bake at 375 degrees F. for 9 minute.
- 8Mix all icing ingredients until mixture is of spreading consistency. Make sure butter/margarine is softened before using. You can also add food colouring if desired!
- 9When cookies are cool, ice with icing.
- 10Sprinkle coconut on tops as desired.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mennonite Soft White Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.7
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.4 mg
- Sodium 78.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 1.2 g