1/1 Photo of Menestra (Spanish Style Veggie Stew) (Vegan Too..!)
magpie diner's Note:
Another gem from the Moosewood Cooks at Home book. You can add or sub any veggies you like to this (green beans work really well). It can turn into a bit of a fridge clearer at my house! And I sometimes add a bit of chunked tofu too. It's one of those recipes where you don't need to have everything prepped and ready to go, you can wash/peel/chop as you go down the list. Although you would think spanish paprika would be recommended for this, the book actually suggests sweet hungarian as the best choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, halved and then thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into half circles
- 1 large potato, diced (peel or not, your choice)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb mushroom (halved or quartered)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 artichoke hearts (roughly a 14 oz can, cut into halves...save the liquid)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- black olives, sliced (optional as garnish)
- fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional as garnish)
- 1In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
- 2Add the carrots, followed by the potato, the paprika, bay leaves and cayenne. Saute for a few minutes watching it doesn't stick or start to burn.
- 3All together you want 2 cups of liquid - use up the liquid from the tinned artichokes then top up with water to get 2 cups. Pour in the water, sherry and 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 4After a few minutes add in the mushrooms and bell pepper and let those simmer with everything for a few more minutes.
- 5Once the veggies are just tender, stir in the artichokes and peas. Simmer about 5 more minutes and adjust salt to your taste, turn the pepper grinder over the pot a few times and it's done. I like to let this simmer on a little longer so that the flavours really blend together. Serve topped with olives and parsley if you choose, and maybe some crusty bread on the side.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Menestra (Spanish Style Veggie Stew) (Vegan Too..!)
Serving Size: 1 (616 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.8
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 831.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.5 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 12.4 g