Last summer I enjoyed an Alaskan cruise, and we had a fabulous time at the Mendenhall Glacier. :) Alaska is also well-known for its sourdough... and brought together here is a delicious combination of sourdough and gingerbread. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together the brown sugar and shortening.
- Then add molasses and egg, beating continuously; set aside
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together and blend into hot water.
- Then beat this mixture into creamed mixture.
- As the last step, add the sourdough starter slowly, mixing carefully to maintain a bubbly batter.
- Pour into lightly buttered and floured 8"x8" baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until done.
- Best served with ice cream or whipped cream while still hot.
Thanks for a great recipe! I made this for my grandmother's birthday, as gingerbread is her favorite, and she loved it, so that makes it a great recipe. I doubled this and cooked it in a 13x9 glad reusable pan, and it filled it to the top. I cooked 30 minutes at 375, then when it wasn't done I lowered the temp to 350 for another 15 minutes and it was perfect. The spices are nice, and a good molasses flavor. Very moist cake, and I'll make it again.
The recipe did not specify so I used a 9x9 inch pan that was sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. I did not have enough molasses, so I used sorghum syrup and reduced it to 1/3 cup. This made a lighter bread which allowed the other flavors to come through including the sourdough. This recipe makes a good 9 servings instead of the 4.
This is very good. It's moist and it's mild. Not a peppy spicy gingerbread but a sweet cakey one. The sourdough flavor doesn't really come through, it tastes mostly like molasses. Next time I might double the ginger and add a pinch of cloves to try and get a bit more flavor from it. Also, the pan size wasn't specified. I used my 8X8 pyrex pan that I had Pam'ed and it was a perfect size. The recipe makes way more than 4 servings like it says, I would say it's more like 8-10. I'm uploading a picture, as you can see we topped it with cool whip and it was very yummy!