Recipe by cookiedog
This recipe is courtesy The Neelys who have a new show on the foodnetwork, "Down Home with the Neelys". They were both so cute, and looked like they new what they were doing in the kitchen!
Top Review by thomrho
Thank you for a wonderful recipe. I was moaning out loud! My husband cooked these for me for Mother's Day. He used brown sugar only and added 1/2 a chopped onion to the BBQ sauce. The Rub alone was incredible. The sauce was sweet and really complimented the rub. YUM!
- 354.88 ml paprika
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 55.46 ml onion powder
- 3628.73 g beef short ribs (2 slabs, 4 lbs each)
- 2721.55 g pork spareribs (2 slabs, 3 lbs each)
- 473.18 ml neely's bbq dry rub seasonings
- 473.18 ml ketchup
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml apple cider vinegar
- 73.94 ml light brown sugar
- 73.94 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 7.39 ml onion powder
- 7.39 ml ground mustard
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- For the rub: Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until combined. Keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- For the ribs: Rinse and dry ribs. Place on a clean cutting board and pull off the membrane, the thin fatty skin that lines the underside of the ribs. Trim the ribs of excess fat and meat. Liberally season both sides of the ribs with 1/4 to 1/2 cup Neely's BBQ Rub. Wrap ribs and refrigerate for at least 8 hours so flavors can permeate.
- Preheat grill to 250 degrees F. using hickory and charcoal.
- Use indirect heat (push the coals and chops to one side of the grill).
- Place ribs meatier side down on the grill away from the flame. Cook beef 2 hours. Turn and cook for 45 minutes more, or until the ribs "bend" and the meat easily separates from the bone using a fork. Cook the pork ribs 3 hours. Turn and cook another hour, or until ribs bend. Remove from grill.
- For dry ribs: Sprinkle extra Neely's BBQ seasoning over ribs, cut bones and serve.
- For wet ribs: Coat ribs with Neely's BBQ sauce, cut and serve.
- Neely's BBQ sauce: In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cooked uncovered, stirring frequently, for 2 hours.