Prep 12 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
Use your favorite dry rib rub to create authentic Memphis style ribs made with a tomato-less mop sauce that is killer.
- 2 pork sparerib racks, silver skin removed
- 8 tablespoons dry rub seasonings
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- Pat rub evenly over spareribs, rubbing it in well. Cover and refrigerate for 4-12 hours.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, combine vinegar, cayenne, pepper flakes, and brown sugar. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Transfer mop sauce to bowl. Cool to room temperature. Let stand at least 3 hours. Reserve 1/3 cup of mop sauce for serving with ribs.
- Remove ribs from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling. Prepare medium fire . Cut each rib slab into 2 equal pieces. Place on grill over indirect heat. Cover grill and smoke ribs, maintaining temperature at about 300 degrees . After 2 hours, turn ribs, brush with mop sauce. Continue smoking, brushing with sauce every hour, until ribs are very tender, 4-5 hours total.
- Transfer ribs to carving board; cut into separate ribs. Pass reserved mop sauce.
excellent! i'm from new hampshire and it's always nice to find a new recipe for ribs ;)