Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A sweet, vinegary Memphis style sauce. Recipe from Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Cook onions in butter until soft and golden.
- Add everything else. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
- Puree in blender or food processor when cool.
- Serve warmed up.
This is an excellent table sauce for smoked brisket, pork and sausage with an excellent vinegar character that cuts through the smokiest meats. This has been my goto for chopped beef sandwiches for years.
Very Vinegary! Reduce to 1/3 cup and should be good to go.