Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
As the story goes from PaPa: "My brother Ralph use to buy a pork shoulder and take it to an old guy named Leon to cook it. Leon would cook it in a pit surrounded by concrete blocks with grates on top. He'd lay the meat in on the grates. He had a real mop, and he would slather it all over the meats. Ralph repeatedly asked for the recipe and Leon would tell him that he wouldn't give it to him because then Ralph wouldn't come by to visit anymore. Ralph told him he would still come and gave him a bottle of whiskey" - Thus, Memphis Bribery BBQ Sauce. Papa insists that this sauce won't burn. He also says it isn't a thick sauce. He will usually dip the whole piece of meat - roast, chicken legs, whatever in the sauce and place on the grill.
- 2 (46 ounce) cans tomato juice or 2 (46 ounce) cans V8 vegetable juice
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar or 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce
- plenty black pepper
- 2 large onions, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, grated with the onion
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- Combine all the ingredients and simmer for one hour.
- If you have beef, ham, or chicken broth, you can leave out some of the tomato juice and substitute broth. Also, if you have chicken or ham fat, use some of it and cut down on the oil.