Recipe by Steve P.
A very moist white cake. Cake holds up well when sent through the mail. During WWII many of these were sent to our soldiers overseas. This recipe handed down from mother to daughter for generations. Original Author is unknown. There are no additional eggs needed in this recipe, the eggs come from the mayonnaise.
Top Review by nuttynut
Great recipe and a delicious cake. I did it without the dates and nuts. I never thought I would make a cake out of mayonnaise since I really can't stand the stuff. Nor did I think one could use mayo to make a cake. Creativity! I also did one with the cocoa powder and I think I like the plain one better. Too many chocolate cakes around. Thanks for sharing a great heirloom recipe.
- 1 cup chopped dates (optional)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a loaf or an Angel food cake pan.
- Mix sugar, mayonnaise and vanilla in large bowl.
- Sift together the flour and salt.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water and pour over dates and nuts if using them. (If not using dates and nuts just add the plain baking soda and water mixture to the batter). Combine all and beat until well blended.
- Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake 1 hour at 350°F.
- NOTE: If you do not use the dates and nuts, cake will take less baking time.
- Depending on your oven, approximately 30 minutes less time.
- If you prefer a chocolate cake add 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder to the flour before sifting.