1/5 Photos of Memories of Provence Wheat Loaf
3 hrs 30 mins
I bought some Herbes de Provence, and adapted this recipe to make use of them. This makes a light wheat loaf and the taste and fragrance of the herbs really comes through. I often bake this as rolls for sandwiches. Prep time very approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the herbs in a small dish and pour in the olive oil. Allow to steep for at least 15 minutes, and the longer, the better.
- 2Place all remaining ingredients except cornmeal in your bread machine following sequence recommended by manufacturer.
- 3Start the dough cycle. As the dough mixes, drizzle on the olive oil until incorporated. The dough should form a smooth ball: add small amounts of flour or water (or additional olive oil) until the dough looks right - the exact proportions depend on many factors. Allow to rise in bread machine.
- 4Remove from machine, punch down. If making a loaf, form into an oval loaf and place on cornmeal-dusted baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise until doubled. (If making rolls, cut into 8 to 12 pieces, depending on the size you want, and shape as desired. Place on cornmeal-dusted baking sheet, cover, and allow to rise until doubled).
- 5Preheat oven to 375 deg. F.
- 6Place in oven and bake for app. 40 minutes or until bread tests done. (Rolls will bake 20 to 30 minutes, depending on size - keep an eye on them).
- 7You know you should let a loaf cool before cutting into it; but when you make rolls, one can always be sacrificed to the cause!
- 8Note: I imagine you could bake this in the bread machine, although I've never done so. I'd do it on a basic white setting with medium crust.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Memories of Provence Wheat Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.0
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 438.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence