Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe is from Virginia Willis cookbook, Bon Appetit, Y'all. Find more recipes at her website www.virginiawillis.com.
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 sprig thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
- In large skillet, heat bacon fat over medium-high heat until sizzling.add cabbage and saute until cabbage starts to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Decrease heat to medium and simmer until cabbage is meltingly tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove sprig of thyme and taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
I used butter and a cup of broth. I didn't have thyme. This was really good and full of flavor. We all enjoyed it.
What a lovely way to serve cabbage. We really enjoyed this savory dish. It was a nice change from the sugar and vinegar versions. It was quick and easy to make resulting in tender, flavorful cabbage. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will make again and again.