Recipe by AlainaF
Similar to sopes or huaraches, memlas are grilled thin masa cakes topped with beans, salsa, cabbage, guacamole and cheese. The toppings vary from recipe to recipe and its a good recipe to improvise using your favorites.
Top Review by Tea Girl
This is an easy and delicious recipe. I had some as is, some with lettuce, and some with some avocados. I will do this again and I think I will as well with some refried beans as I think it would be prefect with that and some with avocados or guacamole. The only thing I changed is that I flattened them with a tortilla press to cut down on the work and time needed to make them. Thanks! Made for ZWT 8.
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 2 fresh serrano chilies, 1 jalapeno chile or 2 a handful of pickled nacho sliced jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons chopped white onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 10 ounces queso fresco, feta cheese (2 cups) or 10 ounces panuelo mexican cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Sauce: Broil the tomatoes and green chile(s) about 2-3" from the coils, on both sides. Peel tomatoes and chiles, core tomatoes, puree with onion in food processor with a little salt.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium high heat, pour in sauce, a little first, then the rest, heat bubbling until it thickens 2-5 minutes. Add coriander
- Memelas: Mix 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups masa harina and 1 1/3 cups of water with a wooden spoon Turn into a nice dough.
- Divide into 16 pieces
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat
- Roll out memelas to about 3" x 4" between sheets or parchment, wax paper or plastic.
- Fry 3-4 at a time until lightly golden on each side
- If possible, shape them into little dishes with raised edges
- Sprinkle cheese on each memela, spoon on sauce, heat them in a 350F oven for 2-3 minutes.