Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The best chocolate sheet cake EVER! I never get tired of this and our family uses it for our go-to cake all the time.
- Sift together 2 cups sugar, 2 cups flour, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix together in pan, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/2 crisco, 1/4 cup cocoa, and 1 cup water. Bring to boil over high heat. Pour into sifted mixture. Stir.
- Now add the 1/2 buttermilk, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp vanilla, and 2 eggs to entire mixture. Stir well.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan. "Bounce" the pan(not too hard to avoid any sloshes) on the counter or floor, to get out the air bubbles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. When cake is done, toothpick will come out clean from center.
- For the ICING: Remove cake from oven and begin to cool. Bring 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, 6 tblsp milk, and 1 tsp vanilla to boil over high heat. Add 16 oz box of powdered sugar and stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour over cake, it will run and cover the cake. Allow cake and icing to cool.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream ,yummmmm-o!
I've been looking for a chocolate cake recipe like this for along time. It's just like my grandma made for us when we were young. Love it!