Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
Not spicy but full of flavor! This is what chili should taste like, at least in my humble opinion.
- 1 lb ground sirloin (or lean hamburger meat)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat (cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 14 ounces beef broth, 2 to 4 cans (with no gelatin)
- 15 ounces ranch style beans, 1 to 2 cans (I use Ranch Style Original Texas Beans but pinto will do also)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 -4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 -4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In saucepan, brown onion and garlic in oil until almost transparent.(Can be added without browning but adds a sweeter flavor) Keep to side.
- Mix meat by hand in large bowl. Add 1/4 cup flour and mix into meat by hand.
- In large pot, brown meat mixture throughout, will still have pink cast to meat. Takes 3 to 5 minutes.
- Leave all juices and meat in pan, add enough beef broth to cover meat. Bring to boil-turn down to simmer. Add browned onion/garlic.
- Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours until stew meat is fork tender. (Check meat ever 30 minutes or so to add broth if needed).
- Remove from heat and add rest of the ingredients. Stir and enjoy.
- Yummy in the winter especially. Great for frito pies or with cornbread -- oh it's great anyways you want to eat it!