Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A family favorite! The casserole everyone grew up on! Comfort food! The secret to this dish is to layer noodles, sauce and cheese. The other is to not add water, because sauce should be thick.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- In large dutch oven brown ground beef and drain. Sautee onion. Add jar of spaghetti sauce. Stir in garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Simmer covered on very low heat for 30 minutes.
- Boil elbow macaroni noodles in salted water until done. Drain noodles.
- In a 9 x 9 casserole dish layer noodles, sauce and cheese. Repeat, ending with cheese on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes until hot throughout and cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!
This stuff rocks because it has FLAVOR and lots of cheese. Craveable comfort food that I will be making again for sure. I used less meat, more spaghetti sauce, and added a little bit of water, and the end result sauce was still nice and thick and meaty. I can't believe how good this is!
Mmmm Mmmm I made the best hamburger macaroni goulash casserole and I was just throwing things in the skillet so I thought I'd look up a recipe on food.com and I saw Seasoned Cook's Recipe Meme's # 263239.<br/> I was making mine with the same ingredients except for Worcestershire.<br/> I had all the ingredients mixed together instead of layering before baking, though.<br/> It turned out GOOD! ? feeling good.
I used minced garlic instead of garlic powder, used half the amount of Worcestershire sauce and threw in some diced tomatoes. Very delicious!