Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A meatless sandwich that will be sure to please anyone.
- 6 ounces sliced portabella mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices bread, thick slices (such as Texas toast)
- Gently rinse and clean the mushrooms, pat dry. Place in a bowl and carefully toss with salt and 1 tbsp oil. In a large pan, saute the onion in 1/2 tbsp oil over med-high heat 5 minutes. remove and set aside. Carefully place the mushrooms in the pan flat side down, (start the toast now). Fry the mushrooms 2 minutes then gently turn, fry another minute. Arrange mushrooms into 2 lots roughly the shape of the toast. Top with cheese and cover in pan cook for 30 seconds. Slide a spatula under the mound and place on toast. Top with onions and serve.
These are yummy!I used sliced fresh white onion and did not cook, can't because of medical needs. Topped the the slice of toast before adding the cooked mushroom and cheese. I just purchased the portabellas on sale and I wanted to communicate with you and this recipe popped out!It was easy, great tasting, will make again, this time with grilled onions for me.
These are great- we make them and add grilled eggplant to them- awesome !! We prefer a nice french bread. Great Sandwiches- and I hate sandwiches- lol !