Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cheese spread on french bread. Gets nice and bubbly in the oven. Kinda tastes like pizza, goes great with beer. I loved making this with my mom as a child. -Your kids (and men) might like it as much as my siblings and I did! We called it "Goop" (I thought the title might drive people away!). My mom got this from a friend back in the 70's- she used to make it for all the guys to eat while they watched football and drank beer. Mix 6 hours ahead of time (but I can never wait that long!), then just spread on bread and pop it in the oven.
- 1 loaf of crusty bread such as a baguette
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, chopped
- Mix together and let stand at least 6 hours.
- Split 2 loaves of french bread lengthwise. Spread with cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 20 minutes, then turn oven to broil and raise to top rack. Broil till cheese is well melted.