Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
this is from http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/dinner-pies/02/rec0263.html
Make and share this Melton Mowbray Pork Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs diced pork shoulder, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage (or 2-3 leaves)
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 pinch allspice
- pork bone
- veal bone
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -3 sprigs marjoram
- 2 -3 sprigs thyme
- 8 ounces lard (yum)
- 1 lb flour
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup milk, combine with the water
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten Mix the meat, salt, pepper, herbs and spices and set aside.
- To make the stock, boil bones, onions, bay leaf, herbs salt and pepper in 4 cups of water for two hours or until the liquid is reduced to 2 1/3 cups.
- Cool, degrease and refrigerate until it starts to jell.
- To make the pastry, rub 2 oz of the lard into the flour mixed with a teaspoon of salt until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Boil the rest of the fat with the milk and water.
- Make a well in the mound of flour and while stirring with a wooden spoon, mix in the boiling liquid.
- Knead and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- To make the casing or"coffyn", roll out three-quarters of the dough into a circle 3/4" thick.
- Flour the outside of the tin and stand it in the centre of the dough.
- Work the dough up the sides of the tin and then gently remove the tin leaving you with a pie casing.
- Fill it immediately with the meat mixture as it is likely to collapse.
- Roll out the remaining dough into a circle slightly larger than the diameter of the casing, to form the lid.
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees Dampen the top edge of the pie and gently press on the lid.
- Crimp the edge.
- Make a hole in the centre of the lid and decorate it with pastry leaves.
- Place on a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 300 degrees F and bake for 1 3/4 hours.
- If necessary place some aluminim foil on the top to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Pour the chilled stock through the hole in the lid and refrigerate Serve Cold.