2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Danielle Michalski's Note:
this is from http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/dinner-pies/02/rec0263.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs diced pork shoulder, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage (or 2-3 leaves)
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 pinch allspice
- pork bone
- veal bone
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 -3 sprigs marjoram
- 2 -3 sprigs thyme
- 8 ounces lard (yum)
- 1 lb flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk, combine with the water
- 11 Egg, lightly beaten Mix the meat, salt, pepper, herbs and spices and set aside.
- 2To make the stock, boil bones, onions, bay leaf, herbs salt and pepper in 4 cups of water for two hours or until the liquid is reduced to 2 1/3 cups.
- 3Cool, degrease and refrigerate until it starts to jell.
- 4To make the pastry, rub 2 oz of the lard into the flour mixed with a teaspoon of salt until it is the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- 5Boil the rest of the fat with the milk and water.
- 6Make a well in the mound of flour and while stirring with a wooden spoon, mix in the boiling liquid.
- 7Knead and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- 8To make the casing or"coffyn", roll out three-quarters of the dough into a circle 3/4" thick.
- 9Flour the outside of the tin and stand it in the centre of the dough.
- 10Work the dough up the sides of the tin and then gently remove the tin leaving you with a pie casing.
- 11Fill it immediately with the meat mixture as it is likely to collapse.
- 12Roll out the remaining dough into a circle slightly larger than the diameter of the casing, to form the lid.
- 13Preheat the oven to 400F degrees Dampen the top edge of the pie and gently press on the lid.
- 14Crimp the edge.
- 15Make a hole in the centre of the lid and decorate it with pastry leaves.
- 16Place on a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 300 degrees F and bake for 1 3/4 hours.
- 17If necessary place some aluminim foil on the top to prevent burning.
- 18Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- 19Pour the chilled stock through the hole in the lid and refrigerate Serve Cold.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melton Mowbray Pork Pie
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 769.3
- Calories from Fat 469
- Total Fat 52.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 111.1 mg
- Sodium 81.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper