Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
- unsweetened cocoa
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons belgian dark beer or 3 tablespoons full-bodied beer
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Butter 6 (6 oz) custard cups.
- Lightly sprinkle unsweetened cocoa over interiors; shake out excess.
- Set cups on baking sheet.
- In microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate and butter.
- Microwave on medium 1-3 minutes or until almost melted.
- Stir until smooth.
- With whisk, beat eggs, egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and beer in large bowl until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate mixture.
- Stir in flour until thoroughly blended.
- Divide mixture evenly into custard cups (filled cups can be held in refrigerator for up to 2 hours before baking).
- In another large bowl, beat all cream ingredients at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- When ready to serve, bake cakes on baking sheet 12-13 minutes or until tops are dry and outside edges just begin to pull away from edge of cups (centers may be slightly sunken but will rise as they sit).
- Place on wire rack; cover loosely with foil.
- Let stand 4 minutes.
- With hot pad or towel, hold each cup and run knife around edges to loosen cakes; unmold hot cakes onto serving plates.
- Serve immediately; pass whipped cream separately.
- Store in refrigerator.