Recipe by Jewelies
Quick, easy muffins with melted cheese in the centre. Make sure you only just combine the wet and dry ingredients. Over stirring will result in tough, heavy muffins. Typically served in the Southern US.
- 85 g polenta
- 125 ml milk
- 3 slices bacon, rind removed and bacon chopped finely
- 4 green onions, chopped finely
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 (310 g) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (125 g) can creamed corn
- 100 g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 50 g cheddar cheese, cut in 12 cubes
- 30 g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Oil 12 hole muffin pan.
- Mix polenta and milk in small bowl, cover and stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook bacon in skillet, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add green onions to skillet, stirring, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Sift flour and sugar into large bowl.
- Stir in corn kernels, cream corn and bacon mixture.
- Add melted butter, eggs and polenta mixture.
- Mix muffin batter only until just combined.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the batter into each prepared muffin pan.
- Place 1 piece of cheese into the center of each muffin pan hole.
- Divide remaining batter among muffin pan holes.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over each muffin.
- Bake uncovered in oven for about 20 minutes or until muffins are well risen.
- Turn muffins onto wire rack.
- Serve warm.