Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Bransten’s Pickle, a British product, is a chutney-like, tangy, mixture of diced preserved vegetables. Can be found at specialty shops or supermarkets that sell British goodies.
- 4 slices white bread or 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons bransten's pickles, coarsely chopped if the fruit is in big pieces
- 6 -8 ounces strong aged cheddar cheese, sliced (or English Cheshire)
- Preheat the broiler.
- Arrange the bread on a baking sheet; lightly toast under the broiler.
- Remove from broiler; spread the pickle generously on the lightly toasted bread.
- Top with the cheese and pop under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- Variation: to make a pan-grilled cheese sandwich, double the amount of bread and make the classic sandwich, then brown on both sides either in a skillet or in a panini press, until the cheese is melting and the bread is toasty.