Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a terrific addition to a holiday cookie tray. You can make the cookies more festive by rolling in colored sugar before baking. NOTE: In response to a reviewer and picture, you must be sure to roll the cookies in sugar before baking otherwise they will not be sweet enough or look as nice.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F On waxed paper, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter, powdered sugar and 1/2 cup sugar, about 2 minutes or until creamy. Reduce speed to low, beat in egg, then beat in oil and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour and mixture just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in saucer. Shape dough by rounded teaspoons into 1/4 inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
- Dip punch cup or glass with raised or cut design on bottom or coarse side of meat mallet into sugar in saucer, use to press and flatten each ball into 1 1/2 inch round.
- Bake cookies 10-11 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Store cookies in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week or in freezer up to 3 months.
These are really good! I didn't have any luck with the glass dipped in sugar for flattening so I ended up rolling the balls in sugar and flattening with my fingers. I only got 4 dozen so I guess they were a little bigger than intended (I always seem to have that problem with cookies!) I really like the flavor and texture of these. Thanks for sharing!
What a great little cookie these are! Very easy & delish....Made a batch up to take to our euchre club and they turned out perfect....
The cookies were okay. They weren't very full flavored sugar cookies, but they did have a nice texture to them.