Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great ingredients to enhance the wonderful flavor of beef short ribs. Tender and saucy ribs, add mashed potatoes or buttered noodles and you have a great meal. Recipe courtesy of Food.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs short rib of beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add ribs and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Add onion, leeks and garlic to the skillet and saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and broth, stirring to remove any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, rosemary and chili powder.
- Bring sauce to a boil, remove from heat and pour over the ribs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours or until ribs are very tender, basting every 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 more minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and skim off grease.
- Serve ribs topped with extra sauce.