Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a real hubby pleaser...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large onions, halved and sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup red wine (or additional beef broth)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 medium yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- Heat oven to 350. Heat a heavy oven proof pot over medium high heat. When hot; add oil and heat oil until hot. Add brisket and cook until browned turning once, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot to plate and sprinkle both sides with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in the pot over medium heat and add onions. Stir to coat with butter and then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and turning heat to medium high and cook onions until they start to brown. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then add broth, wine and worcestershire sauce.
- Return brisket to pot; spooning the onions to the top of the roast. Around the roast place the carrots and potatoes. Cover and bake for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and meat is tender.
- Remove brisket and let is rest for 10-15 minutes on a cutting board covered loosely foil.
- Thinly slice the brisket and serve with the vegetables still in the pot. Spoon some of the juices over the roast.