Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This macaroni salad is garden-fresh tasting with its unique blend of shredded carrots, cucumbers, and radishes. The buttermilk dressing has a garlicky dill flavor. This was clipped out of Ladie's Home Journal magazine about 20 years ago.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 bunch radish, halved and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered, seeded, and sliced (use spoon to hollow out the seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (I've only used fresh) or 1 tablespoon dill weed (I've only used fresh)
- In large bowl whisk all ingredients until smooth.
- Pasta salad:.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions just until tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Add to dressing.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss well.
Absolutely love this salad. Perfect as posted. Will make again and again!! Thank you for the great recipe!!
Very flavorful! I used a tablespoon dried dill and a tablespoon dried parsley. I might try it with less dill next time. I wish it were a tad healthier so I might experiment with reducing the amount of mayonnaise. I used rotini because it looked so appetizing in the picture.
I enjoy using buttermilk and we do like this but first felt it needed an extra something. I added some sliced black olives, celery and apple sausage - it was pretty good. Tonight my husband added a small amt of horseradish and he said, "perfect!" I will make it again but add our little touches.