Recipe by jwilhunt
My mother has always cooked her collards this way. It was UNHEARD of to boil collards at our house! She passed this down to me and it is too good to share!
- 2 heads collard greens
- 1 cup pork fatback or 1 cup bacon drippings
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- salt & pepper
- water (as needed.. see below)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and cut up the collards. Remove any large stems. (I wash mine on gentle in my washing machine with no soap. It gets them really clean.).
- Preheat an electric frying pan to 350 degrees. Add the fatback/bacon drippings. You can also use hog jowl drippings.
- Add collards. You will not have enough room in the frying pan, so you will have to repeat this step several times to get all of the collards in the pan.
- Add about 1 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Cover and let the collards cook down.
- Check and stir your collards often, adding new collards when the previous batches cook down. Keep a decent amount of water in the collards. (Enough to steam them, but not boil them.)
- Once you have all of the collards in the pan, turn the pan to about 300 and let them simmer for about 3 hours. Remember to check them and stir them frequently.
- These are great with pepper vinegar!