Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
These little chocolate, peanut butter candies melt in your mouth. They are so yummy and don't require paraffin wax like so many other buckeye recipes.
- 3 cups creamy peanut butter
- 7 -8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups margarine, softened
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 (12 ounce) packages chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- Mix peanut butter, sugar, butter and vanilla together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat (I use my crockpot). Make peanut butter mixture into 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch balls. Work with a small amount of the peanut butter mixture at a time, keeping the rest refrigerated until ready to form into balls. Using toothpicks or small forks, dip the balls into the chocolate. Set on wax paper and refrigerate.
I could not get the peanut butter to stay in little ball forms for the life of me. I ended up putting the mix into the freezer for 30 minutes and they started getting soft and gooey again as soon as I dipped them into the chocolate. Maybe it was the brand? I used Reeses creamy peanut butter. 3 stars for taste though. My boyfriend sat there scooping them off the wax paper with a spoon.
These are great and they make alot of candy. Will make a great addition to my christmas baskets!