Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This meat comes out so tender and the basil makes the carrots and potatoes so sweet and delicious. All of the flavors meld together so well and it smells fabulous while cooking. This is an absolute Sunday Dinner family favorite.
- 2 -3 lbs beef brisket (not Corned Beef Brisket)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 -2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 -4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Combine flour, salt and pepper and coat all sides of beef.
- Heat about 1/4" of oil in dutch oven or large pot and brown all sides of meat.
- Add water, onion and all spices.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours and then turn over.
- Add carrots and potatoes and simmer an additional 30 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Oh Karen! This was sooooo good! I mixed all the seasonings and used it as a rub, and baked the brisket fat side up, which helps keep the meat moist. We had asparagus with hollandaise sauce on the side. Delicious!
I have made this so many times now I can not count. Each time my guests are dazzled. My mother makes the best pot roast ever, but this rivals her recipe (which is really not a recipe at all--she learned to cook by adding a little of this, a dab of that...so it's hard to duplicate her outstanding cooking). Anyway, this is the recipe I will be using for a long time to come. I've used it on a variety of cuts and it always turns out great. Thanks! UPDATE 9/28/09: I made this again yesterday for a family get together and used 3 lbs stewing meat, doubled the carrots and water, and placed it all in the slow cooker after browning the meat on the stove for about 5 hours on medium high. It fed 4 adults and 7 kids with no problem and a bit of leftovers. Served over rice with some rolls. As usual, it was delicious!