Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a light, delicate cake that really does melt in your mouth! This recipe was given to me by a good friend.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8-inch square pan, set aside.
- Cream butter and 3/4 C.
- Add salt and vanilla.
- Add egg yolks, beat until creamy.
- Combine 1 1/2 C.
- flour and baking powder, add alternately with milk to egg yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites until soft, adding 1/4 C.
- sugar, 1 T.
- at a time and beat until stiff.
- Coat berries with 1 T.
- flour and add to batter.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle top with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This cake is moist, fine textured, and absolutely delicious! I used frozen blueberries that were individually frozen. I did not thaw them. This made the whites difficult to fold in, but it turned out great! Thanks for sharing this!
WOW, made a tripple portion early this morning to bring to work, --- kids always said Danes were crazy, they spend all day cooking for their own B-day. Brought it in at 8:30 and by 12 it was all gone. Thanks, this will be a again and again recipe.
i found this same recipe in a boston globe cookbook over a decade ago and have used it ever since. it is an easy cake to make and never fails to make your mouth water. be well, tessalina