Recipe by Sharon123
This recipe won $10,000 in the Southern Living 2003 Cookoff contest in the Simple & Scrumptious Entrées. This is fall off the bone good!
Top Review by Gerry
Southern Living knows how to pick a winner - know I picked one with this recipe! Cut the recipe back for two - followed through as posted. Love this combination - so like the kind favoured here on the prairies. How good - it's on for our next gathering.Also thinking to slicing and threading chicken breast onto skewers, with that sauce it will make one wow of a starter or appetizer for our summer cookouts. Thank you Sharon. Made for the Auz/NZ August swap.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs (or use boneless)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked rice, kept warm
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion, green tops only
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, and sauté 3 minutes on each side.
- Combine fruit juices in a large bowl. Stir cornstarch and 1 tablespoon juice mixture together until smooth; set aside.
- Stir soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, vinegar, ketchup, red pepper and garlic into remaining juice mixture; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes, turning chicken after 20 minutes. If using boneless chicken, cooking time will only take about 25 minutes.
- Uncover chicken, and stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Spoon warm rice onto a serving platter, top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with green onions.