1/5 Photos of Melt-In-Your-Mouth Barbecued Chicken
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe won $10,000 in the Southern Living 2003 Cookoff contest in the Simple & Scrumptious Entrées. This is fall off the bone good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs (or use boneless)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cooked rice, kept warm
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, green tops only
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, and sauté 3 minutes on each side.
- 2Combine fruit juices in a large bowl. Stir cornstarch and 1 tablespoon juice mixture together until smooth; set aside.
- 3Stir soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, vinegar, ketchup, red pepper and garlic into remaining juice mixture; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes, turning chicken after 20 minutes. If using boneless chicken, cooking time will only take about 25 minutes.
- 4Uncover chicken, and stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 5Spoon warm rice onto a serving platter, top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with green onions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melt-In-Your-Mouth Barbecued Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.6
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 1543.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 23.8 g