A simple sauteed chicken liver pate flavoured with caramalised onions, garlic and thyme. It is extremely unctuous and full of butter and cream! Though this is quick and easy to prepare it does need at least 3 hours chilling time and will benefit from being made a day in advance and left in the fridge until needed. Remove from fridge 20 minutes before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 675 g chicken livers (cleaned i.e. remove any green bits)
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 tablespoons double cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons lemon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper (to season)
- 1Melt 20g butter in a large heavy-based pan , add onions and brown sugar, cover pan and sweat over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- 2Uncover pan, stir onions and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until they are soft and starting to colour.
- 3Add another 100g of butter to the pan and allow it to melt.
- 4Add chicken livers, garlic and thyme leaves and continue to cook on a medium heat, stirring every so often to ensure the mixture doesn't "catch" (stick or burn) until livers are no longer pink.
- 5Transfer mixture to a food processor and leave to cool.
- 6Add lemon juice to pan to deglaze and add to pate mixture.
- 7Add remaining butter, cream, salt and pepper to the mixture and process until smooth.
- 8Check seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- 9If you like this consistency then all you need do is spoon the pate into a serving dish, cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 3 hours. However I pass the pate through a fine metal mesh sieve before chilling it.
- 10Serve with hot wholemeal toast, warm soda bread or crostini.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melt in the Mouth Chicken Liver Pate
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.9
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 335.7 mg
- Sodium 55.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 12.0 g