Recipe by Andy Wold
Mel is my mother. This is a very simple recipe that can easily be switched to a Meatloaf recipe (see Mel's Meatloaf #67226).
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 lb soda cracker, crushed
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- celery salt, to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 1⁄2 ounces Franco-American brand mushroom beef gravy
- 10 1⁄2 ounces water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Beat egg slightly.
- Add water and combine.
- Add soda crackers and mix well.
- Add beef, onions, and bell pepper.
- Add seasonings to desired amounts.
- Combine well, and form into fit-sized loaf shapes (can form into 1" meatballs for easy microwave reheating of leftovers).
- Brown over medium heat on one side, then brown other side.
- Place in covered baking dish (or crockpot cooker), cover with remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 1 hour (crockpot: bring to simmer on High, turn to low for 1-4 hours.)
- Remove bay leaf before serving.