Recipe by Sooz Cooks
This is my Low Carb Friend Mel's recipe. You can change up the veggies to be whatever you want.... the original recipe had 14.5 oz of canned tomatoes which I switched out fresh tomato. You could use mushrooms, asparagus, really anything!... Really versatile.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes (fresh, diced)
- kosher salt and pepper
- 10 ounes baby spinach leaves
- 8 eggs, separated (yolks kept whole, if possible)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it begins to wilt, 1 minute. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, about 30 seconds, then pour them over the spinach mixture. Carefully place the whole yolks over the top.
- Bake until the whites are set, 20 to 22 minutes. Divide among individual plates.