1/3 Photos of Mel's Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
I could not find exactly what I was looking for so I created this recipe from combining a couple of others. My family loves this served with a really crusty bread. Updated Jan 2013 - I am still tweaking and think I have the perfect soup now. I've made all the adjustments below in the recipe. For reheating the soup you may need to add a couple of tablespoons of milk or half & half to the soup and stir before heating to help with the thickness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, roughly chopped (this is about 3 chicken breasts cooked)
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend, with seasoning packet
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup half-and-half, low-fat
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1In a large soup pot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and continue sauteeing for another 3-4 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- 2Add broth and chicken to the pot and increase heat to bring the mixture just to boiling then stir in rice but NOT the seasoning packet - keep that aside. Cover and reduce heat to low and continue to cook and stir occasionally.
- 3In a measure cup, combine pepper and flour.
- 4In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the contents of the seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture to form a roux. Whisk constantly.
- 5Whisk in the half and half and the milk a little at a time until fully incorporated and smooth and continue cooking and whisking for 5 minutes until mixture is thickened.
- 6Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cover and cook over a medium low heat until heated through and broth is thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Makes approximately 10 cups of soup. Depending on the size bowl and serving you can easily feed 4-6 people.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mel's Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 99.9 mg
- Sodium 279.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
long grain and wild rice blend